Compensation  >>   Coronavirus "battle pay" Search Discussion Posts
Discussions Help
Sort By: Oldest posts first Most recent posts first
Private43952

Coronavirus "battle pay"  
Posted: 03/16/2020 08:07am   213 Views

What are companies offering in terms of incentives/spot bonuses for employees that continue to have to show up to work during these next few weeks?  Are you using a flat amount, and if so, can you share a range?  If you are basing it on some other formula, like a % of their pay or a % of their profit sharing or bonus target, could you share that too? 

Private99009

Coronavirus "battle pay"  
Posted: 03/18/2020 07:29am  

We are considering either a lump sum "hazard pay" or a % of base salary. Our executives are asking for benchmark data but it seems most organizations haven't decided on their hazard pay plan, if they are planning on one.

Coronavirus "battle pay"  
Posted: 03/18/2020 11:11am  

Happy to see this post, as I was logging in to inquire about the exact same thing.  We are discussing what our approach to incentive pay for these individuals would be.  Considering level; exposure and still flushing through who these essential personale are.  

Coronavirus "battle pay"  
Posted: 04/07/2020 12:32pm  

I undestand that many employers are concidering some form of hazard pay for essential customer-facing employees. My company is investigating its options and are concidering this. Is any for-profit or not-for-profit comany implementing hazard pay or a premium?

Private78999

Coronavirus "battle pay"  
Posted: response 1 day ago  

I have seen same question in my personal network groups and read some survey reports on this. My understanding is two different scenarios are emerging now. Some organizations are hiring, mostly retail, and they are paying higher hourly rate. The ‘Hazard Pay’ is built in on this higher hourly rate, so no need to add anything additional.

The second scenario is organizations either fall under essential services category and running their operation with skeleton manpower. This is temporary problem and my recommendation would be not to increase hourly rate due to two reason.

• This is not equal opportunity situation, there could be set of employees don’t want to come to work and put themselves at health risk and there might be another set of employees who want to join the work but not allowed.
  • This is humanitarian crisis situation; money should not be used as factor of ‘If-Then’ principle. So, use money as last resort to motivate employees.

I would recommend use as onetime bonus/pay once the crisis is over as token of appreciation for employees who worked in risky environment. You can always calculate onetime bonus/pay as a factor of hourly rate paid to employees or a flat amount to all. Of course organization culture is the determinant factor whether to use money as reward in this situation or not.

Coronavirus "battle pay"  
Posted: response 1 day ago  

In our hospitals for those working in a Covid unit we are not adjusting the base rate of pay, instead what we are doing is pay an incentive for those shifts that are worked based on the following:

RNs

$300 per 12hr shift

NAs

$100 per 12hr shift

RTs (where applicable and treating)

$200 per 12hr shift/$135 per 8hr shift

PTs, OTs, SLPs

$200 per 8hr shift

EVS (1 staff member per day designated to unit)

$100 per 12hr shift/$70 per 8hr shift

Top Contributors
Compensation